🧩 Puzzle by secretnodes.org

Puzzle by secretnodes.org

Fitting all the pieces together.

Why Puzzle?

After working to pass a handful of proposals on the Secret Network, it has become painfully obvious the governance experience needs to be made more accessible and users need to be further empowered to stay informed on the state of the network. While stakeholders currently have access to the information regarding proposals from current block explorers like the one hosted by cashmaney, stakeholders still lack a comprehensive resource that really empowers them to more actively participate in the governance process.

To address this, secretnodes.org has worked to launch Puzzle, an open-source project forked from
Hubble. Once we’ve deemed Puzzle as stable and production-ready, we plan to use this as a
foundational layer to solve for the pain points preventing stakeholders from keeping up with
network related events. Through experimentation and collaboration with the community, our
mission is to make the process of staying up to date on all network activity as seamless as possible.

Implementations of Puzzle

https://puzzle.secretnodes.org is our canary build of Puzzle. This means you will be able to check out bleeding edge builds to see our progress. Currently it is live but we have yet to add the enigma mainnet to it. Do not expect a functional experience here early on.

Updated : May 11, 2020
https://puzzle.report will the the production implimentation of puzzle. This version will have features created in collaboration between secretnodes.org and stakeholders in the enigma community.

Short-term tasks

• Get the foundational layer of puzzle stable and production ready
  • Launch foundational layer of puzzle at https://puzzle.report
  • Collect feedback from the Enigma Community on their biggest governance pain points
  • Conduct a series of UI/UX experiments aimed to make the governance process easier
  • Conduct a series of UI/UX experiments aimed to make tracking Secret Node metrics as easy as possible

Medium-term tasks

• Take from lessons learned and move to refine successful UX/UI experiments.
  • Collect feedback from the Enigma Community and Team on how to best handle reputation-based voting on the Enigma mainnet

Long-term tasks

Once satisfied we have learned enough from our experiments, we intend to create a module for the Enigma Blockchain that would allow users to vote on certain types of proposals without a stake. For now, we refer to these conceptually as community proposals.

Note: Tasks are a non exhaustive list that highlights the main priorities behind Puzzle.

5 Likes

Hi all! Here is the latest news on puzzle. We recently got our staging environment up and running! You can check it out here.

As of today you can also track our public roadmap here.

Here is what we’ve done so far

• Add support for Secret Network Mainnet & Kamut.
  • Create branding.
  • Get fork into a minimally working state.

Puzzle Roadmap

• Expand on event digest to send out report at a custom user set frequency.
  • Make granular and robust alert system for puzzle. Should enable alerts such as chain halts, new proposals, new votes, final vote results, node downtime, new validators coming online, income summary, new delegations to node, and more.
  • Add Puzzle newsletter that include human written content to go over events on chain.
  • Change mentions of “Enigma” to “Secret” to fall in line with prop 7.
  • Bring existing ledger wallet support into working state.
  • Enable users to vote on of chain proposals to signal interest.
  • Spin up a cosmos node and add endpoints to puzzle.
  • Create mobile ios and android apps.
  • Add non-custodial webwallet support to Puzzle so users could store SCRT in puzzle.

We’re excited to be working on the first open source explorer with a primary focus on the Secret Network! You can track our progress at https://github.com/secretnodes/puzzle :jigsaw::jigsaw::jigsaw::jigsaw::jigsaw::jigsaw:

4 Likes

This week I will be submitting The Puzzle Proposal on behalf of secretnodes.org

Here is a copy of the full proposal that will be submitted on-chain.I welcome an open discussion about it and the project overall.

IPFS Copy of Proposal

Github Copy of Proposal

2 Likes

Today the deposit was made for The Puzzle Proposal.

Additional Background
Puzzle development is being led by Jacob Jackson at secretnodes.org and Puzzle represents the new focus of secretnodes.org as an organization. When I started secretnodes.org in 2018 the original intent was to do everything in my power to decentralize the enigma network through educating users to set up nodes. At the time it was believed that there would eventually be many thousands of nodes running on the network years down the line. Since then the node cap of 50 has drastically limited the impact our organization can make on decentralization by educating people on setting up nodes. With these changes, in my view, Puzzle is the way forward to further our mission of decentralizing the network. There is no way to keep every user informed on on-chain events one on one or even a reasonable way to notify all the stakeholders of events. As we build this out we look forward to collaborating with the community and Secret Foundation to further this mission and make sure everyone can be heard.

1 Like

The community should have quick and comfortable access to information about network status, wallet, voting and communication system. Very cool if it will be in one place with a high level of usability
This is the first stage of mass adoption.

Support +

3 Likes

:pray:t5: thanks! I agree that tooling like this is vital to scale the community. Appreciate the support :muscle:t5:

In response to the support we have seen with the Puzzle proposal, as of today ownership of secretnodes.org has been transferred from myself to a 100% community member owned LLC, called the Secret LLC. With this transfer we are making a commitment to remain community member owned.

2 Likes

@moonstash , thanks for submitting this proposal. It’s very exciting. I also recently started a discussion to enable our community to define best practices for community spending proposals.
I have some concern and feedback that I will raise. These are not the opinions of the company but my personal thoughts:

I personally question whether Puzzle is an improvement over existing community tooling (blockchain explorers) that justifies 250K SCRT budget. You also have deliverables like wallet support, which is a different product - so for now I am assuming wallet is not the main priority. If that assumption holds correct, I doubt it that 250K SCRT for Puzzle is the best use of community funds. This may not be the case if we have concrete timing guidelines for certain deliverable. It would also help to have a more detailed outlook for the future.

More specifically:

• I really like the idea of notifications and off-chain signaling concepts
  • Ledger support is cool

A couple of questions I would raise are:

• Is participation in governance low because of existing tools or other factors? We have only 10 validators who voted vs. 25 who are active. Has anyone provided feedback that it’s hard to vote? How do we know that Puzzle will increase participation to governance?
  • Native-wallet is a completely different undertaking than building a community governance / block explorer tool. I question whether wallet support should be part of a different proposal with a specific budget and timelines and roadmap
  • I question the incremental value-add of mobile apps in the short term
  • In addition to these, the concerns I raised in this post about lack of timelines / deliverables, milestones and uses-of funds also apply to this proposal

I want to highlight that I am trying to be constructive and not trying criticize the work that you put. Your work is highly appreciated and you’ve proven to be an instrumental member of the community. That said, I hope this feedback helps future proposal and the health of the network.

Thanks for the feedback Can.

To respond to your questions.

• Is participation in governance low because of existing tools or other factors? We have only 10 validators who voted vs. 25 who are active. Has anyone provided feedback that it’s hard to vote? How do we know that Puzzle will increase participation to governance?

Answer : Currently the process to get a hold of every validator is tedious enough and the majority of validators have not communicated with me regarding the majority of the proposals I’ve put forward. So I think the problem only gets worse in the future.

• Native-wallet is a completely different undertaking than building a community governance / block explorer tool. I question whether wallet support should be part of a different proposal with a specific budget and timelines and roadmap

Answer : We will not build a wallet from scratch. We are implementing mathwallet support to remain compatible with where most non validators store their SCRT. This is a trivial addition on a technical level.

• I question the incremental value-add of mobile apps in the short term.

Answer : There will be no mobile apps in the short term but the idea is that they would not actually be native mobile apps. We plan to eventually use a framework similar to ruby motion that should make it easier than it sounds. Though I can’t stress enough that this is not a primary concern at all.

I’m looking forward to diving into the best practices information you put out and thanks again for the feedback.

1 Like

Earlier today The Puzzle Proposal successfully passed as the 2nd community spend proposal. Jacob and I are humbled by the trust and support we’ve gotten for proposal 8 and very excited to keep building value into Puzzle for stakeholders in the Secret Network.

:jigsaw:𝕊

https://puzzle-staging.secretnodes.org/enigma/chains/enigma-1/governance/proposals/8

3 Likes